Monday 15 February 2010

Wicked: The Musical


It's been a busy week what with all this commercial Valentines nonsense which I admit I seem to get caught up in (and my boyfriend too) every year.  We went for dinner and to the theatre on Thursday night, to dinner again on Saturday night (more about that in another post) and stayed in and cooked dinner on Sunday night.


I'll start with Thursday night...



 

I took Paul on a surprise visit to Wicked: The Musical. I have actually seen it before (about a year and a half ago) but Paul was always jealous that I went to see it with my friends and not with him, so I decided to take him. Didn't take long for him to guess though - as soon as we stepped out of Victoria Station the whole road was glowing green! 

Once again it was a really enjoyable production with catchy songs and a great set and stage costumes. Wicked tells the 'untold' story of the love/hate relationship between the good witch and the wicked witch, pre-Wizard of Oz. 



What made it for me - both times - was Elphaba. Elphaba (the wicked witch) is played by Alexia Khadime - previously Nala from The Lion King - who has the most fantastic and powerful voice which definitely stole the show. In comparison, Dianne Pilkington who plays Glinda (the good witch) has a very screetchy voice which got on my nerves almost instantly.



I don't want to say too much as I don't want to give anything away and ruin something incase anyone decides to go... The story is fun and suitable for adults as well as children. Don't expect a deeply educational evening but I'd definitely recommend this show to someone looking for some light hearted entertainment...


http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment