Since gaining the vintage coney fur coat a couple of weeks ago, I have been involved in quite a few discussions about fur – Is it morally acceptable now? Are certain furs worse than others? are people going to throw paint on me like they did to Samantha in SATC?
In yesterday’s Telegraph, there was an article debating these same issues. The conclusion seemed to be that if the fur is vintage it is more acceptable and people do not feel so guilty about wearing it (even a vegetarian).
I would like to discuss the following points and invite you to offer your answers/opinions...
1. People eat rabbits at restaurants. These rabbits have been killed to provide 'dinner' for people like us (I would like to point out that I have never eaten rabbit and by 'us' I mean people who eat in restaurants). Why is it right that rabbits can feature on a menu in a restaurant but wrong to wear a fur coat? These rabbits inevitably are skinned in preparation to be cooked - what else should we do with the fur?
2. Is it more acceptable if the coat is Vintage? Why?
3. Is rabbit fur better/worse than Mink? Some argue that rabbit fur is not as bad because rabbits are not in danger of becoming extinct, unlike mink which is. Then again, people keep rabbits as pets so is it more cruel to wear rabbit than mink?
4. If a fur coat is hanging on a rail at a store and one customer refuses to buy it, somebody else will...
5. Should role models such as Kate Moss be seen wearing fur? Kate's style is copied by millions of girls (and women) - is she giving a bad impression?
I am hoping this post will start a debate, as I am interested in people's opinions and reasons for or against the use of fur in clothing.. My choice to wear fur may not be liked by some people, I would like to point out that I do not want this post to offend anyone. If you don't agree, tell me why...